Thursday, October 8, 2009

Day 2 - Nautica Sprint Triathlon

Day 2 – The Sprint

Well, not sure what idiots felt they needed to talk loudly in the hall from 12:30 am to 2am.......but it put a bit of a dent in the sleep for the race day.

Despite the noise, when I got up I did not feel like I had raced the day before – a good sign!

Got down to the beach about the same time as the day before - but there were a massive amount of people – 1200 for the Olympic and over 3000 for the Sprint plus all the noise that comes along with the celebs – took some time to park.

Another PERFECT morning weather wise. Made our way through the masses and found Barry who was doing a relay. He got to go back into the ocean for day 2 of the waves.

I thought they might be a little calmer – in MY dreams!! They were worst than the day before – in fact – half the pro field missed the buoy and had to swim back so they could go around it.

My wave was one of the last, so I got to walk around and watch everyone including the pros start and come out of the water.

Gun went off – it seemed like it took forever to get out over the waves – they were high!

Got done with the swim – came into transition and there is Barry Spielberg Plaga with a camera – got to my area and there is still Barry Spielberg Plaga with the movie camera!!! Bar – if I look fat in any of those movie pictures – consider this your notice in writing that you do not have permission to publish!!!! I will kill you!!!

Moving along.....after being shouted to by Bar to get my wet suit off faster while being filmed – I was out of transition and on the bike – felt as good as I did the day before – not 1 person passed me in 18 miles – that was a first!

Off the bike and since I was at the far end of transition and it was a LONG area – I stepped aside and took off my bike shoes so I could run to my area.

Got my shoes and felt like I think Sue Owen feels like when she runs – at least she always looks relaxed and in good form! That's right – I do aspire to greater heights in my running- and in my universe – those greater heights have a name! Dr Owen!

Got on the run – did not feel like I had tired legs – or 'raced on the day before legs'. Was doing great. Had my metronome on both days – which really helped keep me focused and on my pace.

The last mile – Mackel appreared out of nowhere on his bike, in the parking lot shouting words of what I needed to be concentrating on! I was on a roll and having Steve ride in and out of the parking lots as I was coming down the home stretch was the best of all worlds!

Finished: Swim - 23:45 Bike - 57:21 Run - 36:57
Second in Age Group!

All in all, this was a great weekend! Why would you want to do 2 races in one weekend? Because you "think" you can. Why do I push myself to do weekends like this? Because I grew up in this sport under Rich Strauss. He taught me to survive when I did not think I could.

You never questioned Coach Rich - you just did what he said - I did not know any better. But he did not care what I thought I could do - or if I complained. He had no tolerance for "I can't".

Because of Strauss, I can do things I never thought possible. I sign up for things knowing that no matter what, I have no choice but to get to the end. He made me strong and he made me unreasonable.

I would never be where I am today with out him.

No comments: